Music Banter - View Single Post - Foobar2000 - Support and Discussions
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #130 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezebe View Post
mp3tag. PERF. it gives me @ 75% ID3v2.4, @20% MP4, and a few 2.3apev2, 2.3 and 2.2.

That 75% is mp3 formatted, and all have an album artist showing up in mp3 tag, but NOT foobar.

That 20% MP4 is Apple lossless, which is held in the MP4 container. Ergo, all of those have the MP4 tagging, and the album artist shows up for SOME of them. For example, the album "Everyday" is tagged with "Dave Matthews Band" under album artist in iTunes, but the album artist is blank in mp3tag. Thing is, all of my Dave Matthews tagging is MP4. And since my tagging in iTunes is 100% full for album artist, the fact that it's not there in the tag is rather weird. My only guess is that iTunes is storing it either in another meta field, or another database file.

I also found a source of my confusion: I use Columns UI, and it has the Column Playlist. In there, it shows album artists in the column, but the way the script works is that if an album artist tag doesn't exist, then it just shows the artist, which is why I was confused about it existing in my playlists.

Basically, what should I do?

ps:
I'm wordy, I know.
Where's the album artist information stored? Foobar uses the tag "album artist", but I know some other media players and so on use the "band" tag for example for that kind of information. If you can find that information inside foobar (it shows up in a file's metadata when you right click it and choose properties), then it's simple to remap or copy that to the album artist tag.

If you can't find the album artist info in foobar at all (f.ex it's not stored in a BAND tag or any other tag you can see), is it possible for you to remap or copy that information to a new tag that foobar will find using MP3Tag?

Once you can find that information in foobar, mark the files you want to change the info for, then right click and choose properties from the drop down menu. Down in the bottom left of the properties window, click the "tools" button and choose "automatically fill values".

It should bring up a window for automatically filling values. Click the source button and choose "other". Write the %NAME OF THE TAG% which contains the information you'd like to fill into the album artists tag in the text box next to it (in my example, that info is stored in %BAND%). Then in the pattern text box, simply write %album artist% and click OK. Then click OK again in the Properties window to write the changes to the files!