Music Banter - View Single Post - Talking At Concerts
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

It's quite rare that I encounter a situation where someone's conversation is intruding on my experience. I think the one time I really remember this happening was when I saw Ministry on the Filth Pig tour. You might wonder how anyone could hear even the person right next to you at a Ministry show, lol. Now I'm wondering myself. My memory may not be 100% accurate.

I have to report that I've also, unfortunately, been on the opposite end of the situation. The last time I saw Built to Spill (November?) my friend and I got pretty toasted, and met up with 3 other friends who were equally toasted. It was a packed venue, the energy of the music was lively and not chill/quiet, and I think we were chatting the entire time save for a few moments when I really got into a song. It helped that I'd seen them live once before. Anyway I'm sure we were loud, considering we were smashed and at a loud concert. No one said a word, though. Then again it is Seattle, and we're generally non-confrontational folks.

I think the same thing occurred when I saw The Thermals more recently than that, at a smaller venue. I arrived smashed after drinking 4 IPAs at work during the afternoon, meeting friends for dinner and drinking wine, and then going out to celebrate a birthday which involved more wine and about 3 ****tails (OMG this forum just censored cocktails). I got the venue and got a tall PBR, followed by another. Met up with 2 girls, and we just chatted almost the whole time. We were on the balcony though, so I guess (maybe?) that was better than being on the floor. Except we were actually closer to the band that way than if we'd been at the back of the crowd on the floor. Whatever, we couldn't have been that loud.

I'll try to keep it down next time, guys.