Music Banter - View Single Post - Music: Can it have a universal understanding?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWolf View Post
I might not live in America but I know enough about it to know that you are brought up being 'politically correct'.
Yes I think I can tell you don't live in the US, we no longer differentiate ourselves through "color" anymore, (well at least in some respects) people really don't say "blue" collared or "white" collared jobs to differentiate social status anymore. There isn't that distinction of color in America like maybe that happens in Africa in respects with regards to colour stratifying one's social position through "blue" and "white" epithets. In America the blue colored collar work shirt has been replaced by the "golf shirt", and now their called "service sector jobs" not "blue" collar jobs or sometimes if its a real crappy job it's called "McJob" (NB the word McJob is a portmanteau of "Mc Donalds" and "Job" and it has nothing with the way Irish were treated in America.) Well not to backpedal, but in some cases, color does play a role like in America like in politics, it is heavy divide among the color line, there is the "Red" and "Blue," the former pertains to the Republican Party and the latter pertains to the Democratic Party.

And since you lived in Africa, what are your thought of artists and bands blending African music with Pop music, like Peter Gabriel, Paul Simon, or some African hip-hop? I would say I a fan of Peter Gabriel and I like the band Extra Golden, back to the subject what is your emotional reaction to those bands?

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote