Music Banter - View Single Post - So dudes, I did something amazing on Friday....
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Royal Tenenbaum] View Post
I restrung my Gretsch with 11-gauge D'Addario flatwounds

The thing sounds SOOOOO amazing now. It's not as bright as it used to be, but it's for the best. It's so much smoother now. And it's a goddess to play on
What kind of p-ups do you have on your Gretsch: D'Armonds, Filter-trons or HiLo'Trons?

My problem is I have (mid-price range guitar and) the p-ups are not as bright as the ones they are design after, so because of that I don't use flat wounds. Maybe I should experiment with them to see. Everything affects the sound, even down to the wire that's used on the pick ups. I've heard real D'Armonds on a late 60s Guild and they are bright. Where the p-ups on my guitar are darker tone. Definitely using using 11 than using lighter gauge help in the sound too. The heavier the gauge the brighter they sound, the more tension that's on a string the better higher harmonics will response.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote