Music Banter - View Single Post - Are the Egyptians going to Ceausescu Mubarak?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Barnard17
My home? Discabled,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Oh honey I do see it as a positive, but from experience of watching the Fijian coup unfold through military uprising it's not always going to improve the situation of the people. However, this may not be the case. Caution is just required for such a delicate situation. People are demanding jobs now and with continuous protesting the country is only going to continue to suffer economically.
Yes, but the people have to continue protesting. Since 1952 Egypt has been controlled by the military - once a military dictator dies a junta takes control and selects the next dictator. This is no different. Since coming into power the military junta has banned protests, unions, told everyone to go back to work and "promised" it will set up free and fair elections. After having banned protests and unions? So quite how those elections are going to be organised, or how good the options will be in what was formally a single party state for the last 60 years, remains to be seen. The economy will pick up again once humanity is on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
More could die next (even though the majority, if not all, of those deaths were triggered by undercover people hired by Mubarak to provoke the protesters). I've also been seeing worry in the media about negative predictions on how their new government could turn out. They've brought up the idea that anti-western groups could end up controlling the country, or power could just go back to people like Mubarak. Personally, though, I think this is a good thing, and it has triggered other mass protests all along the Middle East against other oppressive governments. So, maybe this is a way for democracy to actually reach that area? I certainly hope so.
We have no right to judge them on whether or not they put an anti-Western group in power. If we want them to have a democracy then we must support their decision regardless. And to be honest considering we supported Mubarak whilst he was in power you wouldn't really blame them if things did end up swinging that way. The media's scaremongering that the Moslem Brotherhood will take power is, however, absolutely ridiculous.

Vita brevis,
Occasio praeceps
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote