Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #849 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric generic View Post
it's probably my signal strength. it's been at 2/5 bars for as long as I can remember. should I make a foil range booster thingy?
Foil range booster? I wouldn't go about arbitrarily adding length to the antenna(s). They're precisely cut at a specific length to account for the length (or a portion of it) of a 2.4ghz radio wave in its optimal phase. If it's not at that length or a multiple of it, you'll won't be doing yourself any favors. A better idea is to actually position the antenna(s) on the AP so that the RF propagation pattern extends more towards you. If your access point is on the same floor as you, you'll want the antenna(s) sticking straight up, vertically, as the RF propagates horizontally outward sorta like a donut. If the antennas are laying horizontally, all you're doing is wasting DB giving the roof a really good internet connection. But if you were upstairs, this is obviously a better idea.
If you're both on ground level, you should be aware that RF hates ground, and is physically repelled by it. Try putting the AP high up on a shelf or something and see if there's any difference.

So are you sure there isn't anyone leeching off your internet? Or are you the one leeching? hehe.. if it's the latter, then I'm afraid there isn't much you can do, since it's likely that a lot of other people are doing the same thing and the problem is simply one of limited bandwidth. Short of going over to that person's house and requesting that they purchase faster internet, there's little you can do.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote