Music Banter - View Single Post - Crosswalking
Thread: Crosswalking
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

Doyle & The Fourfathers - Man Made

How I came to know of William Doyle was a lucky accident. It was unlike me to take recommendations of artists with no fan base or discography at all, but a friend insisted that William Doyle's album Born in the USB was the greatest alternative album of our generation. I wasn't sold on that particular story, but couldn't concieve a reason not to give it a shot. I was well rewarded for my interest. The album became a favourite, and William Doyle became a friend. This was two years ago.

In that time, I have witnessed William forge ahead with his career, forming a band and a new sound, gaining both speed and footing in the British music scene. Doyle & The Fourfathers have taken 2010/11 by storm, touring consistently, releasing singles, appearing on 6 Music with (former bassist of The Fall) Marc Riley, and headlining acts such as 6Music Fest. They have been on countless "upcoming" and "bands to watch" lists, and receive regular 6 Music airplay. All of this hype for a little band from Southampton.

Doyle & the Fourfathers are a fourpiece britpop band, combining influences from a range of eras and artists, such as Jarvis Cocker, The Smiths, Ray Davies, and the Walker Brothers. Will has been kind enough to allow me to share their first full length album, Man Made, with MusicBanter.

Man Made is a fine example of britpop, addressing loneliness in realistic ways while still maintaining an air of positivity. Man Made sulks, but doesn't despair. It is humbled, but triumphant, and intersperses energetic romps (Dark Times, Luminous People; Lion's Share) with sullen balladry (I Spent a Lot of Time Alone; Shape & Form). William Doyle's voice takes center stage throughout it all, while the remaining instruments (by Ben Clark, Alex Urch, and Michael Goozee) pick up awards for Best Supporting Cast. Man Made is a great, simple pop album by four dedicated and hard-working young men.

It's not out of platonic duty that I share this album with you, but out of genuine enthusiasm for this band's music, and full support of a budding career. I was a fan before I was ever a friend, and I would be pleased if I could share with you an album that I genuinely approve of by a band that earnestly deserves to be spread.

Doyle & The Fourfathers
YouTube - DT4Fs's Channel
Doyle & The Fourfathers | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos
Doyle & The Fourfathers | Facebook

Last edited by Paedantic Basterd; 02-28-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote