Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles - Help! (1965)
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
I apologize if it seemed I was trying to debunk your posts. I didn't mean to come across like that.

There are some real gems on this album. To clarify my view point, the whole album is certainly very catchy and listenable. It's a hell of a lot better than virtually all pop releases that existed when it was released. But there's still a feeling that at least more than half of the songs are formulaic ditties that had little value to their respective composers. The point that those very same songs are so strong is merely a testament to the brilliance of Lennon/McCartney: even when they wrote filler, they did it like nobody else. They could disguise it as credible composition.

I think the filler only begins to entirely disappear once we hit Rubber Soul. On that album more than 85% are compositions that writers were proud of. But even then, there are songs on RS that they disliked, e.g. Wait, and the much despised (by Lennon) Run For Your Life. As it happens, I love both songs.
No worries dude.

I think, looking at the album purely in terms of 'pop song' formulaic convention, its quite brilliant. I know there are better Beatles albums (as I said, Help! is probably my 5th/6th favourite), and certainly they released work of a significantly greater creative quality as they progressed, but purely as standard, enjoyable pop songs, this album holds up for me. Plus it's highlights are arguably highlights of The Beatles entire back catalogue.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote