Music Banter - View Single Post - Kōenji Hyakkei - Viva Koenji! (1997)
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Default Kōenji Hyakkei - Viva Koenji! (1997)

This thread is for discussing KōenjiHyakkei'ss album Viva Koenji! from 1997. It was homework in our Prog & Fusion Album Club in February 2011.

Here's a description :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Kōenji Hyakkei - Viva Koenji! (1997)

I'd very much like to nominate one of the albums I would probably consider one of my favorite of all time. One of the most dynamic, complex, abrasive works known to man. I don't know if it's popular opinion or not, but I believe when Magma created the Zeuhl genre they pretty much remained kings, and queens of it unconditionally for decades until finally picked up by the Japanese, most importantly through the bands Ruins, and Bondage Fruit. When combined, Magma had a very very serious contender to it's throne.

Now, with these two bands combined you have Tatsuya Yoshida's vision come to live in Koenji Hyakkei, and none more has this vision been thunderous, aggressive, or unique as in their second work "Viva Koenji". No matter how many times I listen to this album, it completely floors me every single time. Such a unique, and powerful experience that no other album I've listened to seems to get me. It's like if they took Magma at it's most grand and bizarre moments, and cranked it up ten notches.
So, what do you think about it?