Music Banter - View Single Post - 10 Reasons Why The Rolling Stones Were Better Than The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #317 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Yeah I was bored. Shoot me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotoar View Post
1. Pete Townshend > Keith Richards
Spoon faced opera buff in a boiler suit or a chain smoking pirate.
Hmmm tough choice
Quote:
2. Roger Daltrey > Mick Jagger
Really? C'mon Jagger has more charisma in his little finger than Daltry has in his whole body.

Quote:
3. John Entwistle > Bill Wyman
Bass players, Who cares

Quote:
4. Keith Moon > Charlie Watts
English eccentric vs English gent.
I'll split this one
Quote:
5. The grand concept albums, one of which was even too grand for The Who themselves, but that they still managed to turn into "Who's next" which eats any selected Stones album for breakfast.
Who's Next is crap, It only has something like 3 good songs on it.
The only good 'concept' The Who ever came up with was The Who Sell Out and I don't think that album even comes close to the stuff the Stones were doing around that time.
Quote:
6. "Rock'n Roll circus" that Stones didn't dare to release as The Who blew them away with the "A quick one" performance.
The way they played at that gig is thought to be one of the main reasons they decided to get rid of Brian Jones, so you can't really blame them for not wanting to release it regardless of how anyone else played. The Who were notorious for having sloppy gigs in the late 70s when Moon was totally out of it.
Quote:
7. The Who's debut consisted almost entirely of self-penned songs, Stones' debut had one original.
The concept of an album in the early 60s was just a collection of singles with a few covers to make up the numbers. It wasn't until the mid 60s that an album became an entity in it's own right.

And would this be the same Who debut album that had a Bo Diddley song & 2 James Brown covers on it?

Quote:
8. "Live at Leeds". And for the remaining doubters "Live at Isle of Wight".
Live At Leeds
Is this the same Live At Leeds album with, count them 2 whole songs written by The Who on it.
Give me Get Your YaYa's Out over Live At Leeds anyday.
Oh and...
Altamont >>>> Isle Of Wight

Quote:
9. High-end artrock > sloppy blues rock. Ok, that's an exaggeration but The Who were still much more diverse during much less time.
Were they?
What about Soul, Country, Gospel, Psychedelia, Funk, Disco, even Reggae all done by the Stones while The Who were still around.
Personally I think The Who are pretty one dimensional in that regard they might dress it up as 'high end artrock' or 'rock operas' but it's was still the same basic stuff they were churning out. With The Who you had the mod pop of the mid 60s and the stadium rock of the 70s and not a lot else really.

Quote:
10. Townshend's nose > just about everything
You wouldn't want one though

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote