Music Banter - View Single Post - my girlfriend hates indie rock
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
My gf cannot stand any indie bands I am into. Even bands I consider to have strong pop elements like r.e.m., pixies, spoon, she can't get into. For some reason this bothers me more than I feel it should, to the point that I am almost ready to give uo on the relationship because in past relationships I have felt a stronger bond and understanding with women when we relate to each others tastes in music. Am I being to harsh or does anyone else feel the same?
Why the hell would you gauge any important aspect of your relationship with another woman on the basis of music preference? What, are you guys also in a band together? If not, then it doesn't matter. Let her listen to her music and you can listen to yours. If you're trying to force your taste down her throat then the issue lies with you. And if you're only finding a connection with a woman via music, then maybe you should hold off on dating until you're a bit older...

The only caveat I have to this is the matter of mutual respect. If either of you can't NOT blare your unwanted preferences in front of each other 24/7, then that's a problem. Otherwise, you should both be seeing more important things in each other than what style of music you like or can talk about. And if you do, then you shouldn't have any problems respecting each other's personal differences.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote