Music Banter - View Single Post - The Durutti Column-LC(1981)(Discussion Thread)
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Does all post-punk sound like this?

I also have another question, why are they trying to hold onto the label "punk"? Maybe I need to venture over into the punk education thread but I completely understand why Jackhammer said he wouldn't consider these guys punk.
They don't really sound much like any other post-punk band. The closest I can really think of is Felt - both have the dreamy guitar lines and soft vocals.

I think the only reason The Durutti Column are tied in with punk in any way is that when they emerged in England, it just after the whole "'77 punk" had kinda died out (to my knowledge). That, coupled with the fact that they were a pretty unconventional band for their time, was probably why they were labelled post-punk. Also, they were on Factory Records for a while - which was obviously well known for Joy Division and other post-punk artists.

Whatever you wish to label them - I'm a big fan. The Return of the Durutti Column is my favourite of their records, however this one is also fantastic.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote