Music Banter - View Single Post - REGGAE WEEK: Your favourite Reggae artist and why?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
stillmans39
Groupie

Jeez, of all the thousands of Jamaican artists you could choose as a favourite reggae star, people are seriously mentioning Michael Franti?? Man, I loved the disposable heroes but most of his solo stuff was poor and besides it really really ain't reggae.

I'd have to go for Eek-a-Mouse. The way he managed to combine the most beautiful melodies with a very humourous and light-hearted style (much needed after the sublime but very serious roots music of the 70s), yet still throwing up every now and then some unbelievably poignant and heartfelt lyrics. 'Too Young to Understand', the closer on the awesome wa-do-dem album is a classic example (it's on youtube I just can't post urls yet)

His work with Henry Junjo Lawes, one of the island's finest and most prolific producers of the 80s is fabulous. Wa-Do-Dem and Mouseketeer are two great albums but he's consistently made good records and is still doing so now. And his is the best name for an artist ever!
stillmans39 is offline   Reply With Quote