Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Most Essential Rock Albums?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #48 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
i don't think highly of Forever Changes - the Zombies' Odessey and Oracle is much better at the same thing

and I like Television's Adventure more than Marquee Moon (still nice but overrated)
Well, I haven't heard Odessey and Oracle, so I can't really comment on that. But, being a huge fan of Television, I can definitely say with certainty that their debut is much better than their second. While Adventure is a wonderful and soft-sounding album, the shear complexity and ground-breaking sound of Marquee Moon takes the cake. The undistorted, dual guitars work together coming at you from both sides in each song like one complete instrument. It is not only amazing, but also unknown to punk rock at that time (some people don't even consider it a punk album). That and the poetic lyrical content done by Verlaine makes this album a masterpiece of rock music. Heck, if anything this could be a post-punk album. Which is strange because critics consider Magazine's debut album to be the first to exhibit the sound of post-punk, and it didn't even get released until 1978.

Kind of a biased argument, but oh well...
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote