Music Banter - View Single Post - Downloading your music vs buying your music
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #196 (permalink)
Mr November
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Butler View Post
Absolutely, it's illegal downloading music for free. You can't download like this in any other industry apart from the music one. That's what I find strange about this. For niche music I can see the benefits of it but do the mainstream really need to embrace this? I doubt it personally.
You can download whole movies, video games, softwear, etc. etc. for free off the internet without any real computer know how.

I think what you mean to say, is that downloading music for free is the only thing that is widely accepted as Ok. That might be true.

The thing about wether it should be illegal? The answer is no. Why? A) Too difficult to enforce regionally - so more or less pointless B) If it was going to be effective it could effect other aspects of the internet, we could end up with encoding and terms and laws automatic band width limiters or something. C) As a universal law it's ratordad. Does that mean it should be illegal to lend your friend a CD and let him burn it or even just listen to it? It's obvious that you shouldn't be able to sell someone elses music, but it would make me very very angry if the government told me I couldn't share music with friends. That's part of why I get really upset when YouTube blocks music or I can't watch a video in my country.

So what do you all think about that? Where do you draw the line if you DO decide to crack down on this. Knowing companies and their overheated love for protecting anything that might make money, how far could/would they go?

Last edited by Mr November; 03-03-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote