Music Banter - View Single Post - The Durutti Column-LC(1981)(Discussion Thread)
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
dankrsta

Great stuff!!! How come I didn't know about this band before? These guys have a huge discography and are apparently still active. Actually I just read the line up was always changing and that this band can be seen as one man project. The most interesting thing for me is that Blaine Reininger of Tuxedomoon was at one point a part of the line up.

Anyway I listened to this a few times and I absolutely love it. Well, this doesn't have that much similarities with typical post-punk let alone punk. It's very ambient foreshadowing both post-rock and more dreamy, ambient shoegaze, but without the noise. On the other hand it reminds me of some Brian Eno songs, more specifically from 'Another Green World' and 'Before and After Science'. Obviously The Durutti Column are more guitar driven, it's just the ambient atmosphere and tranquil sprawling sounds that I find very similar. Oh and the vocal too, but it also has that distant, remote quality that is usually found in post-punk bands. So it's art rock actually. I don't use this term very often, only when I can't quite place something, like this band.

Every song here is very good. One of my favorites 'Sketch for Dawn I', the opening track, reminds me of the earlier New Order. Like I said, the vocals and bass lines are elements that connect this album to its time the most. All the other stuff, floating guitar lines, instrumentally oriented tracks, creating of layered textures, ambiance etc, are taking cues from the near past (Eno) and shooting to the future. Favorite song is hands down 'Never Known'. Excellent album! I'm going to check more stuff from this band. I'm really curious to hear how they developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
The Return of the Durutti Column is my favourite of their records, however this one is also fantastic.
I'm gonna get that one next