Music Banter - View Single Post - Just a Girl with a Passion for Music :)
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly984 View Post
s_k- Awe, you're very kind! Thank you so much! I will definitely have to take you up on that offer! I've been reading 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson (and I have a few other books, can't recall the names off my head). But there are definitely questions that a book just doesn't quite answer. They've helped, certainly, but I'm pretty much winging it right now, lol. I can keep talking about photography forever so I'll stop now, ha ha
Haha, I'll carry on then.
Here's some very very general information about exposure.
If you already know all this, then I'm sorry. I just figured I'd tell this.
I'm sure it's useful to someone.

Exposure in a nutshell:
- ISO
- Diafragma
- Shutter speed

ISO is the sensitivity of your film, which is emulated in a digital camera. The higher your ISO, the less light you need for a good picture, but the grainier the picture gets. Most camera's ISO's range from 100 to 1600. Generally, everything up to 800 looks pretty good.
Diafragma: Determines how much light gets to your film. It's mainly a hole that gets bigger or smaller, just like the iris in your eye. A smaller diafragma (smaller hole) gives you a bigger DOF (Depth of field), meaning stuff in the background and stuff on the foreground is in focus. A lager Diafragma gives you a smaller DOF, meaning stuff you focus on is sharp, but the background is unsharp.
Shutter speed: Easy, the longer the shutter is open, the more light will go onto your film. The longer you keep it open, the lighter your picture becomes. This of course depends on your diafragma and ISO. When your diafragma is more open, you will need a shorter shutter time as a lot of light gets onto the film in no time.

Shutter time is usually a number that ranges from 2" (2 seconds) to 1/10000 second or something like that. Your diafragma setting is usually called f*something*. f4.0, f5.6, f8. Something like that. See if you can discover this on your camera and play with it. Should keep you occupied.
Be aware that these settings are only found on better camera's with a manual option

I have posted some pics in the photography thread here...
clickety
If you hate those, you can ignore my advice