Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #258 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsd View Post
I actually have to disagree with the "music is as good as it was, you just have to look around" concept. This is definitely true to a degree, but I view the 60s as being the last large creative explosion. The last couple decades have been creatively stagnant in comparison to the 60s and parts of the 50s and 70s.
I disagree. The creative explosion started with the advent of modern recording. Every decade since has had it's "creative" folks. The 60's is when everyone saw the beginning of "indie cred". Before that, however, Jazz was considered the music elitists genre of choice. Before that it was Blues.

The reason those are remembered yet you can't think of a similar movement today is because those movements had a social stigma attached to them. Jazz was considered the devil's music. The older genreation felt nobody but booze hounds and black people listened to that stuff. With psychedelic rock you had the counter culture movement. Today you have hipsters, I guess, but their whole philosophy is to be completely apathetic towards everything that comes their way and I think that translates to the music.