Music Banter - View Single Post - Loveless
Thread: Loveless
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Easy. You can recognize talent and/or influence while not being particularly impacted on a gut level by the music. I'm this way about Prince, for example. I definitely respect that he's a talented guy but very little of his music really grabs me.
But sometimes I feel people just respect things because someone else tells them someone is talented. There are 1000s of talented people anyway, what matters is what is done with that talent. Influence is overrated I think (as well as hard to measure), you can't give someone credit for music they never wrote or performed.

More thoughts from Amazon.

"People shouldn't be so quick to trip over themselves praising music and they definitely shouldn't do it so much in lock step with everybody else...there should always be dissenting voices on everything. Music critics want to impose their rigid, elitist worldview on everyone when we should be striving for more democracy..........So no, I don't want to be cool like you and listen to the music you listen to and and I don't want to be a scenester because scenes suck."

"Just please listen to me, I feel that this album is so highly-rated and influential ONLY because of the fact that, for many people, this is their introduction to this kind of genre of music. "

"Critics, like most of this album, suck............This is just another example of the media hype-machine and spineless critics who either want too much to be different/unique, or are too afraid to form an opinion of their own."

"All notion of talent is historical, but some people certainly rely much more on contextual receptivity than voluntaristic genius. MBV are the former."
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote