Music Banter - View Single Post - Loveless
Thread: Loveless
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
Nobody ever heard an album like it? Well that's their choice, doesn't mean there hasn't probably been some experimental music at least slightly similar before. And originality alone isn't really a reason to praise something for me.
There was music SLIGHTLY similar, but this album really did encapsulate something entirely different. You can ascertain the band's main influences, but what MBV created was something very new.

Of course, you're correct that originality alone shouldn't warrant automatic praise. I rarely listen to Loveless, now - I've heard it hundreds of times and feel little need to ever sit through it again. I happen to think it's a wonderful album, and one of the most important albums in terms of shaping my music taste.

I find it interesting that a lot of people who dislike Loveless attempt to rationalize other people's love for the album, and interpret them as "trying to be cool" or "scene", or claim the album is only well respected because of the critics' hype. Perhaps the album is well respected because it's very unique, and lots of people genuinely love it? I found it to be a captivating abum which I obsessed over - these cynical, "I'm not a scenester because scenes suck" types on amazon and elsewhere on the internet should get over themselves.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote