Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #534 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
I don't have a prejudice against any site, Pitchfork or whatever. I just look through lists (whether Pitchfork or a few hundred other people) and see what I like. And what is an accepted definition of overrated for you? My definition is something which rates quite high on alot of albums lists but which I don't like.
Overrated = artistic merit is exceeded by popularity. The difference between mine and yours is that you think just because you don't like something, and other people do, that it's overrated. I do not like Wire. Wire are not overrated. Not liking something is no reason to feel compelled to belittle them by using a word that doesn't even work for the situation.

Given it's an 'objective' thing, and given that objectivity in musical discussion leads nowhere, you'll see why discussing which bands are overrated is so worthless. Discussing what's underrated is okay because it comes from a place in the mind where you actually want to spread the love of music. The term 'overrated' just leads to scoffing and 'YOU'RE ALL SHEEP AHHHHH'.

Quote:
What does it have to do with then?
Those two things are exactly what it has to do with... I'm saying that people who use the word generally have personal reasons, and not ones that make sense in context of the situation. Talking about their artistic merit, their influence, their popularity... That's all valid. What isn't valid is saying "Man, I heard one of their songs on the radio the other day and I didn't like it. Overrated hipster pitchfork-approved tripe!"
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote