Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #541 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutnuckle View Post
I never said that you said it wasn't an opinion. You were merely treating your opinion as though it were objective.

It doesn't bother me if you don't support that which doesn't tickle your fancy (I really don't think anybody does), but it's no reason to disparage the artist/band by deeming them 'overrated'. Not supporting is not the same as ruining support. I don't necessarily support Band X, but I also wouldn't go out of my way to ruin their reputation. Doing such a thing just makes it seems as though 'overrated' and 'personal opinion' are the same thing, when they clearly aren't.
but isn't a concept of a rating completely subjective, anyway?

my own basis of overrated is not that there is hardly any artistic merit even if over-popular, e.g. most of the Top 40 stuff which are pretty basic but most people love, but that people seem to subjectively put them too highly on the pedestal on a general consensus, i.e. the Beatles

sure the Beatles wrote some great tunes and created some great music but as John Winston Lennon (RIP) said when they broke up, "get over it, we're just a rock band, if you want nostalgia, you can always listen to the old records we made"
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote