Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #545 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
but isn't a concept of a rating completely subjective, anyway?
Hence why attaching the words 'overrated' and 'underrated' to music is utterly worthless as it takes them outside of their traditional definitions. Might as well call this "Which popular bands do you not like?". You'd get the exact same answer, except with the accurate terminology. Somewhere along the line, people have become so involved with what they like/don't like that they've forgotten certain words don't apply to the scenario anymore. Plenty of words are just used for shock value around here nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Honestly, I thought the point of having an underrated/overrated thread was to say what you think is overrated, and underrated without the scrutiny of others analyzing your motives.
If everything was accepted, there would be no discussion and this would thread would have ultimately less purpose than it does now.

Quote:
Ease up, guys. If Starry Night thinks everything praised by pitchfork is overrated, it's fine. Doesn't indicate she isn't analyzing these things from experience listening to them. S/he could, or couldn't have. Doesn't matter either way, hurts the spirit of the thread though if you point the finger and say "I see this all the time, and it's people who refuse to judge things on their musical merit." it kind of hurts the relief in being able to publicly announce that you think something is overrated.
Ease up, guy. If people wish to understand where a person is coming from by questioning what they've said, it is not your duty to attempt to prematurely put a nail the metaphorical coffin. The entire point of this thread is to breed discussion, after all...

Did I at any point in time insinuate that Starry Night didn't genuinely listen to all of the bands he/she listened to enough? Nope. Unless you're a fan of Ernest Hemingway, I highly doubt you'd read that much into the little things.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote