Music Banter - View Single Post - Rebecca Black
Thread: Rebecca Black
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #39 (permalink)
RVCA
( ̄ー ̄)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
lol, how could anybody hate pop music in general? It's probably the most varied genre out there, at least on a superficial level. While it's predominantly in the 4/4, verse-chorus-verse format, it's such a vague, wide-ranging classification that just about every different type of sound you could imagine is somehow incorporated at some point or another, by some artist or another, in some way or another. There's pop-metal, pop-rap, pop-soul, jazz-pop, country-pop, dream-pop, indie-pop, dance-pop, reggae-pop, and so on and so on....

But in the case of many of the most prominent "pop" artists of the moment (i.e. Lady GaGa/Ke$ha/BEP/etc.), I fail to see how "Yesterday is Thursday, today is Friday" is any more laughable than, for instance, the Black Eyed Peas listing off days of the week and blurting out random Jewish salutations in "I Gotta Feeling", or Lady GaGa utilizing baby-gibberish as lyrics in "Bad Romance", or talking about taking a ride on somebody's "disco stick", or Justin Beiber's one-word chorus in "Baby", etc. etc.

If you want to go back further, how about some early Beatles? "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah!" Wow. Rebecca Black can't compare to that genius. I'm not saying pop music is bad so much as saying it's bad to act like a condescending douche because you prefer one catchy four-chord tune with vacuously silly lyrical content to another.
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote