Music Banter - View Single Post - The Art of Arkestration: Sun Ra Discography
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Sound Sun Pleasure
1959 released in 1970

Tracks

1. 'Round Midnight
2. You Never Told Me That You Care
3. Hour of Parting
4. Back In Your Backyard
5. Enlightenment
6. I could have Dance All Night

Well, this was recorded alongside Jazz in Silhouette, and not released for years afterwards. I get the feeling from listening to it that it really wasn't intended to be released at all. Very dull for a Ra Album especially considering the last three I reviewed were all fantastic(then again if this were 1959 only one of them would have been actually released yet). Seems to me just like a bunch of b-sides thrown together.

First four songs were eh... Enlightenment was a good version but we've already heard that one. I could have Dance All Night is strangely the only bizarre one on here, and it's bizarre even by Ra standards. In fact, it utilizes a lot of ambient scifi tones that I imagine would logically come from the 50s(and one of the most drunk sounding trumpets I've ever heard in my life), but still seem very 'ahead'. Probably the high point of this album which is far too mundane for me to give that good of a score.

5/10

Edit: You know what, I Could Dance All Night is very interesting. In fact, probably notable for Sun Ra's first extended ambient track at 17 minutes, and it's nowhere NEAR the ones he'd become trademark for. I'll bump this album up one for it. 6/10
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God

Last edited by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra; 03-16-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote