Music Banter - View Single Post - The Doghouse v.II
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #49 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

It's quite a version isn't it. I guess another possible negative about the live version of Life On Mars there is that the pianist Mike Garson is really whacking those keys like he's chopping wood, unlike the more blissful, subtle touches of Rick Wakeman on the Hunky Dory studio cut. I can't say I prefer either version myself, although Mick Ronson's guitar on the studio version does get on my pecs from time to time.

As for Costello, his first album's always gonna be the one you can just whack on any time and really get swept off your feet by the simplicity of the whole thing. I've said it a few times (if memory serves me right) around these boards that I prefer when Costello'd found his feet and started to take in more influences than, y'know, Buddy Holly to his sound. As such, in my eyes he's an example of a musician with a fantastic taste in music (even if he does like fucking Greenday and Panic At the Disco, but who doesn't like the odd dud eh) really using it well to make some truly great music.

Anyway, rant over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Just so anyone who's interested knows (which, at this point, is looking like barely a handful of people), I'm getting a bit bored of doing written reviews by now, so I'm gonna be shaking up the format for this like nobody's business within the next few months. Keep an eye on this thread eh.
^ Apologies for the obligatory whine there btw. I was pretty drunk when I logged in last night The rest of the post still applies though. Basically, as soon as I've got the moolah together for the necessary equipment, I'm gonna try and put some video reviews in here and see how they go down.

Last edited by Bulldog; 03-18-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote