Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite love song?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #369 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
While I agree with some points you have made I feel like everyone's definition of what love really is varies from person to person and there is no "right" way to describe what love is imo.
I agree with the point you make, dj. I'm just saying that for *me* the lovey-dovey songs feel like self-deception or over-accentuation of positive emotions while ignoring the negative feelings or the complexity of love. They seem one-sided.

What I like about Wilco's song is that it *isn't* one-sided. It is multi-faceted. It doesn't sing about "forever" and "hearts" etc. Its vision of love is more realistic, not completely fulfilling.

I do appreciate songs that capture the beautiful feelings of love that are one facet of love, but I *really* would like a song that seems grounded in reality by including more of the complexity of love rather than just one aspect of it.

That being said, the following is a love song I like very much even though it only describes positive feelings and focuses on appearances and how they make the observer feel...or perhaps the feelings of love are what make the person view the beloved as a rainbow. I feel the scratchiness of the violin and messiness in parts of the song save it from feeling too overbearingly sweet to me, although I also like the song's sweetness.

The Rolling Stones - "She's like a Rainbow"

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote