Music Banter - View Single Post - Foreign languages
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
dankrsta

Like Scissorman once said: I speak all the ex-Yugoslavian languages except for Slovenian and Macedonian (for those of you who don't know they're basically the same language with different names). Even the last two are very similar. I can read and understand a lot especially written, Macedonian more so than Slovenian.

As for the real foreign languages, I speak, write and read in English. That's the only language outside my own that I'm really comfortable with, even to the point that after a considerable time spent in reading English or writing, I would begin to think in English, if that makes sense. Sometimes, when I try to verbally express something, an English word would come to my mind before Serbian. Crazy.

Beside English, I learned French in school for 8 years. But, I've never felt natural with French. That was more like learning only for school, without being exposed to French on many different levels like I was to English. I really regret that now, 'cause I was doing okay. I've never had problems with grammar, reading and translating, nor with feeling the melody of the language and pronunciation. But I was never so comfortable with speaking French without thinking first. And since I always compared it to my knowledge of English, I was never satisfied. (I could never write all this in French :/) That said, I have to brush up on it and continue where I left off.

Other than that, I've always wanted to learn Italian and Russian. Eh, maybe some day.