Music Banter - View Single Post - Fury in the world of Folk
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Moshe
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Thanks. I had a look at the website link you posted and agree with you; I thought it was pretty offensive the way he tried to pervert the images of "Blowing in the Wind" to promote some weird agenda of his own.
Likewise, I think your (and my) reading of Neighbourhood Bully is nearer the mark than his.

Weberman is an extreme case of the kind of over-analysis that the Beatles used to complain about. When someone writes about "mountains... washed to the sea", I see no reason to suppose anything other than a metaphor for an impossibly long process or for a catastrophy. The trouble with Weberman is that he`s incabable of letting "the sea" just be the sea.

BTW, I`ve always heard that Under A Red Sky was a really weak album. Do you think it has any hidden gems on it ?
Yes, I agree with you re Dylan. The twisted interpretation he puts on "Blowin In The Wind" is beyond belief. As far as Webermans asertion that Dylan hates black people, quite a few Dylan songs would contradict this.
His songs about black figures such as "Hurricanne" & "George Jackson" from the seventees would also contradict this.

as to "Under A Red Sky" I have never heard any of it. I have only heard a few tracks from dylan after the seventees. I did see him in concertabout a decade ago & was somewhat disapointed.
I have "Loive & Theft" which was not a bad album, but not near his best from the sixtees & seventies, IMO
Moshe is offline   Reply With Quote