Music Banter - View Single Post - Foreign languages
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Gah, that's my problem. I always felt I knew English very well without really having to try (I never paid attention to grammar in class, it always came by ear). And now that I'm actually having to work on learning a new language it seems like a freakin' bitch. Especially because I don't want to just learn the basics, I want to be as good at it as I am with English and I'm not sure if that's possible given that no other language is so dominant and ubiquitous these days. Spanish is the only one that comes close, at least in these parts.

In order to become really proficient in a new language I think it's essential to immerse yourself in the culture of that language. But unless you actually move to that country, it's very very difficult.
That's so true. It's possible for English, at least easier, without moving to some English speaking country, because, as you said, it's a dominant language and culture. As for Spanish, haha, we have these telenovelas too, but they're slowly being replaced by Turkish telenovelas. I hear they're a big hit. :/ Eh, there are already enough Turkish words in Serbian, we really don't need to be exposed to more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeddyBass2112 View Post
I can speak or know:

French (first language until I was 5 or so)
English
Latin
Ancient Greek
Modern Greek (not brilliantly...I'd get by on holiday)
Arabic (learning it, getting there slowly)
Swedish (learning it still, getting better)
Japanese (basic)
Portuguese (basic stuff, want to get better)
British sign language (200 signs or so)
American Sign Language (100 signs)
Koine Greek (pretty much the same as ancient Greek, but has some forms unique. Found in the Bible)
Italian (REALLY rusty now, can't speak it at all without revision)
Serbian

Yeah, I'm good at languages. Anyone who wants help learning languages can PM me.
I'm curious, where did you learn Serbian? I'm assuming that's not your native language going by your location, or is it?