Music Banter - View Single Post - The Recreational Drug Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #3627 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Which is about as bad as driving drunk .

What I mean: People who voluntarily take risks on the road they don't have to take, are an awful thing to me.

Not if you do this to solve a concentration problem you shouldn't be having while driving in the first place.
People voluntarily take risks on the road simply by operating a vehicle at high speeds. Who's to say their reaction time is as fast as everyone else's? Who's to say they don't just suck at driving? I do agree that mind-altering drugs are adding more risk to the equation, but I don't think they're as cut-and-dry as people make them out to be. There are a lot of factors involved. If we are to be completely objective about it, we should be condemning elderly drivers, drivers with low IQ, drivers with poor hand-eye coordination, drivers with poor vision, angry drivers, etc... Truth is, accidents can't be blamed on one thing. While we can attempt to minimize the risk involved, we can never eliminate it. I say all that to say, nobody should be driving in the first place, no matter what, because we are all susceptible to error. But realistically, we know that it really comes down to an acceptable level of risk. And the only way to put one thing above the other when it comes to risk, is to prove it with statistics. So when it comes to what's more risky to drivers, opinions probably aren't the best argument.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote