Music Banter - View Single Post - Skeleton Crew - Learn To Talk/Country of Blinds (1990) [SAA Album Club discussion]
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
dankrsta

Default Skeleton Crew - Learn To Talk/Country of Blinds (1990) [SAA Album Club discussion]

Skeleton Crew - Learn To Talk/Country of Blinds (1990)

Let's see what everybody thinks of this album we listened to last week, recommended by Skaligojurah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Learn To Talk/Country of Blinds(1990) is technically two albums, but most places you can find/download it offer it as one. If you ask me, it first PERFECTLY as a double album. There's never been a time I've not listened to it as one. Now, in a lot of ways this isn't quite as 'avant-garde' or experimental as many of the albums presented. I mean, it uses mostly guitar, cello, and other conventional instrumentation. But, compositionally, it's by far one of the most interesting things I've ever heard.

Maybe I'm just not knowing of the source, but Skeleton Crew - to me- sounds nothing like anything else on the planet. It's kind of folky but not folk, it's avant-garde but definitely not noisey. There's worlds of Celtic influence, very relatable lyrics of social/politica satire, improv jam sections, tons of sampling, strange vocal patterns.

By far, probably Fred Frith's greatest band/work imo.
So?