Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite love song?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #386 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Uh, Zaqarbal...isn't "Every Breath You Take" by The Police actually a song about a stalker?? I always liked the song, too, when I listened to it in the 80's and so was surprised when I read what Sting had to say about it:

Quote:
Every Breath You Take by The Police Songfacts

This is one of the most misinterpreted songs ever. It is about an obsessive stalker, but it sounds like a love song. Some people even used it as their wedding song. The Police frontman Sting wrote it after separating from his first wife, Frances Tomelty.

In a 1983 interview with the New Musical Express, Sting explained: "I think it's a nasty little song, really rather evil. It's about jealousy and surveillance and ownership." Regarding the common misinterpretation of the song, he added: "I think the ambiguity is intrinsic in the song however you treat it because the words are so sadistic. On one level, it's a nice long song with the classic relative minor chords, and underneath there's this distasteful character talking about watching every move. I enjoy that ambiguity. I watched Andy Gibb singing it with some girl on TV a couple of weeks ago, very loving, and totally misinterpreting it. (Laughter) I could still hear the words, which aren't about love at all. I pissed myself laughing."
Ouch! That's the most disappointing thing I've heard since I found out that Roxanne was actually a prostitute (I was too young then ).