Music Banter - View Single Post - Bullied Kid Got Suspended for Fighting Back
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
I fought a lot when I was his age. Schools are so paranoid about fallout from situations like this that they like to punish anyone and anyone involved to make an example. Fact is, if they looked at it on a case by case basis, they might actually be able to see that this kid had no other choice. But that would involve them actually doing their job and sticking up for one of their students, I don't see that happening, ever.
Exactly. A lot of schools see themselves as a sort of business and that there can't be any hints of favouritism, which is how defending a student, no matter what the situation, would be seen.

Here, there's a problem with guns and other weapons in high schools (mostly schools that are located in poorer or more gang-ridden neighbourhoods), and there are zero-tolerance policies at those schools towards bringing weapons onto school property, but the schools themselves are doing jack-shit to enforce those rules. Instead, they punish everyone who MIGHT have come into contact with a weapon at school.

I'm from a more well-off neighbourhood in Toronto so I never had to deal with weapons in high school, but I did have problems with fighting a few times and was punished for it, rightly so. I don't blame this kid for standing up for himself. He did the right thing.