Music Banter - View Single Post - M83: Saturdays = Youth (2008)
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zer0

It's probably my favourite M83 album, with Before The Dawn Heals Us not too far behind in second place. I have a lot of memories attached to this album and for me it's one of those albums that transports you back to a certain time and place. It transports me back to around this time 2 years ago and the memories associated with that period.
One thing I really love about the album is the almost seamless collision of electronics and live instrumentation, and the dreamy shoegazey textures blending it all together. The songs themselves are very memorable and have a certain bittersweet feel to them.
I think the album flows very nicely, as if it's one piece of music with each individual song forming a movement in this musical journey. As regards 'Midnight Souls Still Remain' (the droning 11-minute repetitive track at the very end) I presume it's meant to cause some kind of hypnotic, meditative, trance-like effect on the listener but I very rarely listen to the whole track. I'll usually listen to it for about 5 minutes and then get bored and hit stop. But overall it's great album.