Music Banter - View Single Post - but Oh that magic feeling...
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #53 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
The mind can’t read what the eyes can’t see, so where are these things coming from before they get here? A moment arrives it is coming and going, one foot in and one foot out, we’ll never find the border-line. We’re all on this merry merry-go-round and which one of us can imagine anything else? I think therefore I am not where I am, but where I am thinking, somewhere outside of myself. Thinking around myself, in the merry merry-go-round with its ups and downs and eventual nausea.

All the mind can know is what it has seen before and it will only lead us into echoes of the past.
Are you sure this is true, Cardboard Adolescent?

For example, physicists have gained insight into how the universe works, learning that its nature is not what people had imagined (space as curved; light having particle and wave features simultaneously; an ever-expanding universe; the uncertainty in where particles go apparently being affected by whether there is an observer or not, which I don't get at all).

I think the wonder of the mind/brain is that it *can* conceive of 'things' it has never directly experienced...although I agree how our mind functions is limited by the 'meat' that is us. I will probably never perceive the universe as does a cat's or bird's mind, for example, and I can't make myself remember every moment (although some people can). So, I agree that the mind is definitely limited.

Quote:

Really into Cat Stevens at the moment. What is there to say? Beautiful vocals and lyrics, and I love how fast and dynamic the piano is while still feeling totally tranquil and effortless.
That is one of his lovelier songs, I agree. Here's my favorite Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) song, and I think you may like it since you are so often of a philosophical, spiritual mindset. How do you feel about this song?

Yusuf Islam - 'The Wind'

Quote:
I actually want to retract that post completely. I think there is a direct correlation between sound and sensation, which is partly mental and partly physical. In part you're responding to the social (ego) constructs which categorize certain melodies as sentimental and others as profound, etc. but you're also responding to the sensation that specific sound vibrations cause in your body. Some music will generate very pleasant feelings and other music will generate unpleasant feelings. Sometimes people enjoy music that causes unpleasant sensations because most people don't like it and they feel special in liking it. Most of the time people like music that makes them feel good. I think that's really all there is to it.
This reminds me of something I wrote recently on MB about music: whether or not we like a song may sometimes be as simple as whether or not we like the stinky smell of Liederkranz cheese, which I don't. Why don't I like Liederkranz cheese? Because I don't like how it smells. Why? Because I don't like how it smells!"
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote