Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #794 (permalink)
thejew09
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Yeah Reimer stood on his head. I'd say the Bruins probably outplayed the Leafs for the majority of that game. Seguin in particular had a bunch of good chances, which was nice to see since Julien usually keeps a leash on him.

Yeah Giggy has really collapsed. Doesn't seem like all that long ago when he was one of the top goalies and the league, and who could forget his run in the playoffs in '03? At least they got rid of Blake in that deal (not to mention Toskala).

As for Rask, Julien called the speculation that he put Thomas back in because of Rask's reaction "ridiculous". Thomas was even supportive of Rask saying that the defense needs to let some shots go through and let the goalie have a clear view of it rather than trying to block everything. Seidenberg is arguably the best shot-blocker in the league, but he's not a goalie. He needs to let Rask see that.

"Can you imagine if Rask let in an ugly goal and Seidenberg turned around and yelled at him and threw his arms up like that?"

I was a goalie for over 10 years (I quit playing hockey a couple years ago), and while it's a complete double standard, it's just a given to not do that. Goalies are fragile creatures. There really is no position like it in sports. There is an immense amount of pressure. And this is me just speaking at a rep level. I couldn't imagine the NHL. Goalies do get a pass for this kind of behaviour, and for protection against that kind of criticism in-game because of the pressure on them.
Giggy is way past his prime these days, and his injuries lately haven't helped anything. Fortunately for Toronto he's a UFA this offseason. At this point he's a steady backup, or a mentor goalie that you bring in to help out a young guy. Perhaps someone like Florida will sign him to help along Markstrom, but I think they're still stuck with Clemmensen.
thejew09 is offline   Reply With Quote