Music Banter - View Single Post - Skeleton Crew - Learn To Talk/Country of Blinds (1990) [SAA Album Club discussion]
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
That's an incredibly scathing review. I don't feel it's entirely fair to judge this album on dynamic when it's intended to be as laid back sounding as it is. It makes up for that in it's worlds of intricacy. If anything, it's beautifully strung together, and retains an element of subtlety in it's design that prevent it needing to go all over the place in those traits of timbre(bass, volume, etc) that would denote dynamic. That's where it gets it's elegance.

I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong. But implore you to give this a deeper listen. There's a lot of information in there. Some you won't catch if you're not keeping your ears into it.
Don't really get how it's scathing at all (especially since I ended it on a relatively positive note), but I can see where you're coming from. I do plan to listen to it again (or at least the second album which I did prefer), as I do know that a lot of angular albums take more than the 2-3 listens that I gave this one. I merely wanted to get my two cents in to get the wheels rolling, because this entire project seems to have lost a little energy this week.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote