Music Banter - View Single Post - Aural Fixation- Gavin B.'s Music Blog
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #288 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
I think it takes about six months to a year for the music of any album to completely sink into the swamp lands of my subconscious mind and during that period of hibernation, my opinion on any given new album release is in a constant state of flux on almost a daily basis.
My opinion definitely establishes far quicker than that. Certainly if I don't like something at first it's highly unlikely I would grow to like it at all. If I do find it interesting at first and consistent enough from start to end then in the vast majority of cases I will continue liking it to some extent.

Quote:
Everybody's opinion of what constitutes "good music" is random, arbitrary and totally devoid of any higher metaphysical meaning. Such is the existential state affairs in insular world of critical thought.
I don't think it is all completely random. The more you hear the more good stuff you can find, then you compare the best you have heard to new music to higher the standard. The more you hear a style the more you can see where something is generic or more creative. What is random tends to be what gets famous and what doesn't, and that is often about other factors like fashion, marketing and image more than the music.

Quote:
it's rare for me to find an album that in which I like more than 3-5 selections.
Same with me. Most albums I'll probably like hardly anything off them. But the more I hear the more goodies I find.

Quote:
Like the fashion industry rock music is just an endless cycle of new trends based on stylistic innovations from earlier seasons.
Rock/pop or whatever does recycle old styles but as long as the music is good I'm happy. There's plenty of variety out there which is good.
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote