Music Banter - View Single Post - Recommend any good composers?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #82 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
And here is a painting of Luigi Boccherini, playing his cello, Circa 1764-1767, artist unknown. He looks happy and alert, doesn't he? And he played the...cello!!

My fellow townsman Boccherini!! Someday I will post a photo of me in front of the house where he lived, if you like. I love his music too. Last Christmas I took this picture of a bust of him at a small square (it is named Boccherini Square) next to the Royal Palace:

One of his best-known works is Night Music of the Streets of Madrid. You probably know the 5th movement because of this:

Note the irony: An actor from the antipodes playing that music in a film entitled "The Far Side of the World".

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Sadly, this is how his life ends: "Boccherini fell on hard times following the deaths of his Spanish patron, two wives, and two daughters, and he died almost in poverty in Madrid in 1805."
That's what was assumed... until recently. A few years ago, one of his direct descendants studied his testament and other documents, and he came to the conclusion that Boccherini had a quite decent economic level at the end of his life.

Last edited by Zaqarbal; 03-23-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: a typo
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote