Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 AM   #7982 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I think most older people should get at least a little respect from younger people simply for the fact that, generally, older people are more experienced with certain things and, generally, know what the hell they're talking about. So advice from them about certain matters is usually more valuable than people tend to think.
All of us are going to be old and more wise than we currently are now, so wouldn't you want to be regarded with a little credit when you offer your wisdom to younger, more inexperienced people, about stuff you know about, when you're in that situation?

I don't think it's an excuse to be self-righteous, but I think a lot of times, younger people see it that way by default when they think they're right, because they're only seeing things from one perspective. Experience and hindsight lets you see things from a better vantage point. That can be pretty valuable to someone who's willing to use it to their advantage, but unfortunately, most younger people don't see it that way.

I don't think age brings with it some kind of fundamental superiority or entitlement or anything... I just think it's a better position to be in if your opinion is going to be worth something.
So her continuously talking over me without letting me defend myself and constantly putting me down and lying to me is worth respecting her for?

She said my mom had an eating problem and drank too much. This is coming from a woman who got ridiculously drunk in restaurants and abused her husband, embarrassing everyone. Once she was so drunk she hit her husband and he left her an aa card and called my dad for help.

In saying this, apart from her I have huge respect for my elders. I find them incredibly valuable and interesting. I love hearing of times before I was alive.