Music Banter - View Single Post - Do You Believe in People With "Supernatural" Powers?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #26 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Hell yes. All of this.

I make it a priority to find scientific sources and discover as many things about the way our mind works and how our mental processes affect the way we see things, and the more I learn, the more I realize that the main component behind people's belief in the particular stuff we're talking about here, is ignorance about what's really going on in their own bodies and minds, and why they're interpreting things in the way they are.
Unfortunately, you can show some people an incredibly valid and perfectly reasonable alternative to a belief, that's backed up by science, and it still won't matter to them.
I completely agree. I also respect that you make an effort to look a bit deeper into these issues. I will say that I feel 90% of these "experiences" are a person's mind rationalizing what has happened. An unexpected death can really traumatize someone, so feeling as if you already "knew" it would happen lessens the blow.

However, I also feel there are a great number of people who underestimate the power of the mind. Throwing the word "supernatural" out there automatically gets people skeptical. Not to mention the words themselves (psychics, premontions, healing with your mind) have a very fantastical connotation. The sad thing is people who don't believe are armed with a myriad of scientific research to show how this isn't true, yet the people who believe don't even bother. They are satisfied with "well, I believe it. so?" This research is accurate in that we don't have psychic abilities RIGHT NOW. I believe our minds have to power to evolve this ability, though. I even believe we see small indications that some people have a slight "psychic" ability.

I don't see why it's so hard to accept...there are examples in nature where certain organisms can communicate to each with nothing but electric impulses. It's not called telepathy, so people don't argue with it. 80 years ago the idea of cordless anything was unthinkable...yet now we all walk around with cell phones. I think brainwaves can travel on a similar principle. In fact, I think telepathy would be the next major step in our evolution. We struggle so hard to communicate and understand each other at all times, I feel it is the next logical step.

I think people experience a form of telepathy everyday, we just pass it off as "gut feelings" and instincts. Have you ever been able to tell that someone is nothing but bad news just by the feeling you get? Or maybe you trust someone unconditionally after meeting them for only 5 minutes. There are small things, but I feel they are definitely there.

I'm not saying I believe this is the case 100%. I'm just playing the devil's advocate. I like to exist in a gray area with most issues like this.