Music Banter - View Single Post - Recommend any good composers?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #83 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
My fellow townsman Boccherini!! Someday I will post a photo of me in front of the house where he lived, if you like. I love his music too. Last Christmas I took this picture of a bust of him at a small square (it is named Boccherini Square) next to the Royal Palace:
Wow, Zaqarbal, I didn't realize that Boccherini, when living in Spain, lived in your city! That's exciting. Perhaps we should say that Boccherini lived in what would be *your* town.

Yes, I would like to see the photo of you in front of his house. I haven't heard much of his music yet, but what I've heard I enjoy. We are playing part of his devil song in the orchestra of which I'm a part, and I like playing it. I can't play it well, but I still enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal
One of his best-known works is Night Music of the Streets of Madrid. You probably know the 5th movement because of this:

Note the irony: An actor from the antipodes playing that music in a film entitled "The Far Side of the World".
That's a great scene and I had no idea they were playing a song by Boccherini. I like it: festive and energetic, the song feels like it is leading somewhere. A great dance song! This makes me want to listen to the whole of "Night Music of the Streets of Madrid."

Yes, that detail about the actor *is* an irony. Cool world map and clever observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal
That's what was assumed... until recently. A few years ago, one of his direct descendants studied his testament and other documents, and he came to the conclusion that Boccherini had a quite decent economic level at the end of his life.
I'm happy to hear that! Thank you for telling me. We should make a Boccherini thread. I think he deserves it.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote