Music Banter - View Single Post - Recommend any good composers?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #84 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Perhaps we should say that Boccherini lived in what would be *your* town.
Well, I've always been jealous of Viennese and Milanese people when it comes to Classical music. So I guess that must have been a sudden sprout of "Madrilenian musical pride". Last week I was taking night photos at the historic district which inspired Boccherini's music. This is one of them:

And, of course, I thought of the famous quintet.

Quote:
That's a great scene and I had no idea they were playing a song by Boccherini. I like it: festive and energetic, the song feels like it is leading somewhere. A great dance song!
I agree. And he was inspired by the Madrilenian popular scenes he himself saw. Probably like these ones painted by Goya by that time:

Maybe that popular feature is inherent in this city. 200 years later, that vitality was brilliantly expressed through pop and rock. But that's another story.

Quote:
We should make a Boccherini thread. I think he deserves it.
I think so. Boccherini is a bridge between Classicism and Romanticism. He was able to compose a delicate and elegant minuet with a harmonious and serene melody.... ...or a vigorous and dynamic symphony:

At the small square I mentioned before, there's a fountain with an inscription. It is a quote from a 1798 book, and it reads:

"If God wanted to speak to man through music, he would use Haydn’s works;
if, however, He wished to listen to music himself, He would choose Boccherini.
"

Jean-Baptiste Cartier: L’Art du Violon (1798)

Last edited by Zaqarbal; 03-24-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: minor
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote