Music Banter - View Single Post - Recommend any good composers?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #85 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
Well, I've always been jealous of Viennese and Milanese people when it comes to Classical music. So I guess that must have been a sudden sprout of "Madrilenian musical pride". Last week I was taking night photos at the historic district which inspired Boccherini's music. This is one of them:

And, of course, I thought of the famous quintet.

I agree. And he was inspired by the Madrilenian popular scenes he himself saw. Probably like these ones painted by Goya by that time:

Thanks for sharing the photo of your city. I'm glad you are having a sudden sprout of "Madrilenian musical pride."

Hmm...Goya's paintings show what appears to be a much more exciting social scene than Madrid has in modern times, where the desolate street at night is streaked (artistically) only by the lights of cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal
Maybe that popular feature is inherent in this city. 200 years later, that vitality was brilliantly expressed through pop and rock. But that's another story.
That sounds like a very interesting story and one about which I know nothing (besides what your wikipedia link article says). It looks like the Madrilenian groove scene was a little like the '60s in the U.S. (from what I hear of it) what with the 'freedom of expression, transgression of the taboos, and use of recreational drugs.'

Quote:
I think so. Boccherini is a bridge between Classicism and Romanticism. He was able to compose a delicate and elegant minuet with a harmonious and serene melody.... ...or a vigorous and dynamic symphony:

[CENTER]
[LEFT]
Or we could just turn THIS thread into a Boccherini thread, like we are doing! Siege and conquer!!

Zaqarbal, I had no idea that this beautiful, light and happy Minuet was by Boccherini! I think I shall now swoon with adoration for him. I delighted in playing that Minuet on the violin when I was a child, and now that I think of it, maybe that's why the name 'Boccherini' seemed familiar. Isn't that just the happiest little song, and with such nice variety yet also repetition in its short length?? If 'gay' were still used to mean 'happy,' I would say this minuet is gay.

The Symphony in C major is tranquil yet also energetic in parts, "vigorous and dynamic" just like you say, as Boccherini quickly jumps between the moods, with a few more pensive moods that I love thrown in. I am reminded of music by The Auteurs that reminds me of a sunny day when clouds pass over the sun briefly shadowing the landscape before the cloud passes. The more I hear of Boccherini's music, the more I like it!

Does Boccherini do any very brooding, serious music? So far most of his music I've heard seems quite light-hearted. (I'm now listening to Sinfonia in B Flat G. 497 - Mov. 1/3, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHk9gRYNDg&NR=1 )

Quote:
At the small square I mentioned before, there's a fountain with an inscription. It is a quote from a 1798 book, and it reads:

"If God wanted to speak to man through music, he would use Haydn’s works;
if, however, He wished to listen to music himself, He would choose Boccherini.
"

Jean-Baptiste Cartier: L’Art du Violon (1798)
I love that Jean-Baptiste Cartier quote almost as much as I enjoy listening to Boccherini's music!!! Perhaps I am God.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote