Music Banter - View Single Post - My Music Journal (and many other things)
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Key

Album Review #1:
Sigur Ros - Takk...

This album has always had a special place in my heart for as long as I can remember. It was the first that I had ever heard from the post rock genre, sort of why I am a huge fan of Jonsi Birgisson (obvious by my avatar, and my name).. This is a band that I will listen to when I am feeling emotional, or if I feel lonely. There's one thing I find myself enjoying more than anything however, it's the lyrics. Although I cannot understand them half the time, Jonsi does a fantastic job at using his voice not only as a vocalist, but as an instrument. He has such a wide range that captivates so much emotion that even though the lyrics aren't familiar at first listen, it still grabs you as if you knew what he was feeling.

Onto the album, this album specifically has become one of my favorite albums in any genre, by any band. The first song "Takk..." which for some who don't know, it means "Thanks". Anyway, Takk...starts off kind of slow, but not in a bad way. It has an opening that leads into the second song "Glosoli", which really starts to lead into the rest of the album, which is not only a work of great music, but a work of art, at least in my opinion. Every song from start to finish is filled with so much emotion, so much purity, so much love, that it's hard to really express my love for this album in words.

One song that sticks out from the rest is Andvari:

That song alone does enough by emotionally "trapping" me into the music. It has a way of creating an atmosphere where you feel alone, but you are not alone at the same time. I see myself sitting next to Jonsi as he sings the song. And of course, the end of the song is a slow instrumental which in my opinion, has to be one of the best endings to a song that has been created in quite some time.

Rating: