Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #3322 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChuck View Post
I think that Capello is going to be looking to get away from 4-4-2 and start to fall in line with the 4-5-1/4-3-3 system that alot of the top European club sides are using to be honest, and as Chelsea and Barca have shown its possible to work that system without any wingers at all. Your two wide attackers would be narrower and cut inside more giving one or both of the fullbacks the chance to attack in the vacated space.

In my opinion the problem is the England team has a few players that should be phased out of the team, and new blood should be brought in. The team should be looking towards the 2014 World Cup imo, so we'd be better off getting the younger players in now, giving the qualification experience and tournament experience in the Euros, so that when the majority are reaching 23/24/25 in 2014 they have adequate maturity and experience to have a decent shot at performing well at the World Cup.

I personally wouldnt be having any player currently in their 30's in the squad, its too short sighted. On paper, a matured line up based on potential shown by the players thus far (with the exception of Rooney, Bent and Walcott who would be closer to their late 20's), a front 6 of:

--------Carroll/Bent
--Rooney--------Walcott
----Wilshere---McEachran
----------Rodwell

Looks far more promising for a World Cup run than trying to squeeze the same players that failed so miserably at the last tournament into the team. Capello wouldnt do this though, he has no obligation to the team past 2012 so he will just want the best for that tournament, which will mean struggling with the Barry/Lampard/Gerrard midfield again in the Euros.

Potentially the future of English football is very bright, but the FA are so short sighter to only give managers contracts that last to the next tournament, which means that long term planning is not something that any England manager needs to bother with.

Edit: I havent even added the likes of Lennon and Huddlestone from Spurs!! That could change the line up again:

Rooney/Carroll/Bent (1 from)
Walcott/Rooney/Lennon (2 from)
Wilshere/Rodwell/McEachran (2 from)
Huddlestone/Rodwell (1 from)

Into the same formation as before.

But the point remains, we have enough attacking talent that in the right formation, could achieve alot comparative to what the team has achieved in the last 2 tournaments (scraping through the group to get knocked out in the first k/o round, and not even qualifying before that)

I agree largely with your line up, but at this stage, instead of McEachren I'd have Gerrard in there. He was the only player of the so-called 'golden generation' that played with any real distinction at the world cup, and he's been our best player since then too. I'd also have Parker in instead of Rodwell too AT THE MOMENT. I rate Scott very highly, and I think for the next couple of years he should be first choice defensive mid, with Wilshere and Gerrard given license to push up and support Walcott, Rooney and Bent.

In regards to the likes of Rodwell, McEachren, Gibbs, Carroll etc, they should be introduced gradually, so they can learn and adapt to the rigours of what is undoubtedly a step up. I fully support their inclusion in the Euro Championships should we get there and should they be performing regularly for their clubs. Hopefully, come the WC in 2014, we'll have a new, very taented nucleus of young players ready to take on the world.

I also think Wilshere should go to the U21 champs this summer to gain experience in tournament conditions. I think with him in there we will have a great chance of winning the thing, he's just a step above anybody else in that age group within Europe at the moment. If he, McEachren and Rodwell start, with Sturridge/Carroll/Welbeck up top, that is a ridiculously talented U21 front 6.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote