Music Banter - View Single Post - The Doghouse v.II
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #51 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Basically, as soon as I've got the moolah together for the necessary equipment, I'm gonna try and put some video reviews in here and see how they go down.
^ Not so sure about this anymore. We'll see how things turn out I guess.

Seeing as my schedule's cleared up a wee bit recently, I think I'm gonna try and get three more album posts in here over the next week for a lack of anything better to do.

In the mean time, it's about time I threw some more videos at you...

Artist: The Corrs
Tuneage: Breathless

As much of a dull hipster with delusions of grandeur I'll always be, there'll forever be a part of me that has a soft spot for music that's totally at odds with my outlook on what predominantly makes good music into good music, the kind of person I am, the amount of sugar I take with my tea, which way I look first when I cross the road...you get the picture. I can't claim to know a lot of people here personally, let alone in that big, scary-arse world out there, but I'm sure it's the same for everyone.

All that's just a fancy pants way of saying that we all have guilty pleasures, and the Corrs are one of mine...to an extent. There are a lot of absolutely woeful songs that they've been responsible for, and it's not stretching the truth when I say that I think most of them sound like shyt. Where the Corrs shine for me though is when they play live. Beneath the glossy veneer of over-zealous studio production and execution methods, at least a few Corrs songs are just really good, catchy and upbeat pop songs with a Celtic twist to make things more interesting. It's why their Unplugged live CD is the only one of their's I actually listen and enjoy...for the most part. I mean, don't get me wrong - there is some ghastly, mushy corn on there too.

But it's songs like Breathless here which, when stripped down to their bear bones, are just really fun pop songs being performed by a very talented bunch of musicians who are clearly truly enjoying what they're doing.

Not to mention the fact that Andrea Corr is hot to the nth degree as well.

Ready for a mood shift? You know you are!

Artist: Third Eye Foundation
Tuneage: Corpses As Bedmates

Ah, Third Eye Foundation! To be honest, great as this album is and all, I didn't really sign up for something that sounded like this when I first got hold of it.

There I was, listening to the pounding basslines of Cyantific and London Elektricity one night before heading out to town to some place that'd play shit music all night where I'd proceed to tell myself that I'd be having a good time. I thought it'd be a good idea to get hold of some more drum 'n' bass. It was at that point when I started looking to the mighty RYM's top albums lists that I remembered how cool that LTJ Bukem album I once listened to was. Atmospheric d'n'b was what I'd seen called. So I had a look.

I guess in my blind, blissful naivety of being two weeks younger than I am now, I didn't really cotton on to the fact that there can in fact be more than one kind of atmosphere. What LTJ Bukem reminded me of, and therefore what I was expecting from the Third Eye Foundation, was a kinda delicate electronic music which fell somewhere in a middle-ground between downtempo trip-hop and liquid funk. What I got instead was an album that may well have provided me with a soundtrack to my nightmares for the forseeable future.

Not in a bad sense, of course. The album this is off is far, far from poor, and well deserving of its reverence among RYM's users. I can't really think of much more to say about it, but if you're up for a pretty creepy thrill-ride of an album, give this a few spins. It'll do you a world of good
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote