Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #126 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crukster View Post
What is needle exchange, something to do with drugs?

That would explain why they didnt like you helping, but tbh, you gotta look at the bigger picture here man.

If you didnt help them exchange needles, they would get ill, they would spread disease. So they've fallen in a bad way, they're doing drugs and bad ****. But it's up to them to pull themselves out of it, all you can do is guide the lost sheep through the canyon.
Haha yes that's exactly what it is. Because there's been a huge AIDS epidemic in DC since the 90s so it's an effort to keep that from spreading partially. Also, a huge part of the programs is to get addicts regularly coming to a clinic with posters and free information on how to get help, rehab, the dangers etc. The ones I know of at least even offer classes to help people stop, or to try to teach them at least of the dangers. And the biggest thing that they do is give people at the bottom of the bottom someone to talk to that genuinely wants to help them, rather than look at them like pieces of **** which sadly I think the vast majority of people do. It's amazing how much you can tell they just need to talk to somebody because, and I heard this so many times, what's the point in quitting when you have nothing or no one? This is a very very personal issue to me as well so I get angry when people go against these programs, and it's pretty much ended in the end of my involvement with organized religious groups. And don't take that wrong, I'm still Christian, I just see it as having my own way of practicing. Because isn't that what religion is pretty much all about? Making the world a better place for everyone? Unless I missed something in Sunday School...
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote