Music Banter - View Single Post - Senior Newby? Don't Tase Me, Bro!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Greenbrier_River_Slick
Groupie

Quote:
You may be pretty happy with your judgement on hip-hop as it is, and if so then thats fine. I won't tell you that you should make an effort. But I guess I would suggest that you at least keep an open enough mind to click on a Youtube video here and there around the boards once you start to get a feel of peoples music tastes, and who you are likely to respect.

I'm not a big hip-hop fan but I have found lots of stuff I like in my time here.

Welcome to MB!

After reading my intro post, along with most of those that followed, I think I'll back off my statement about the rap & hip/hop. It's hard for me to imagine that I would ever hear and enjoy listening to that style of music. But, I will say, all I've ever been exposed to is what I hear blasting out of car windows or in movie soundtracks. In the area I live in, there just aren't any radio stations that interest me. It's either top 40, new country, bluegrass, or golden oldies. There is a station or two that plays music for what I'm going to refer to as college-age people. I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't know what to call that type music. Would it be some kind of rock? Foo Fighters, Dave Matthews, etc.

What I'm saying is this - the urban music that I've been exposed to could be the lowest common denominator of that kind of music. It could be that exposure to rap & hip/hop at a different level might adjust my attitude upward a notch or two.

I just don't want to come off as some sort of rigidly stern blinders-wearing redneck, unwilling to have an open mind. There is a lot of that here in the south, and I'm bothered a lot by that attitude.
Greenbrier_River_Slick is offline   Reply With Quote